PARK OF THE EXPOSITION AND ART MUSEUM OF LIMA.
Located at a few blocks distance from the Historical Centre, towards the Southern districts, encircled by the Avenidas Paseo Colón, Garcilazo de la Vega, 28 de Julio and the Expressway Avenues, stands the Parque de la Exposición, a splendid urban set that comprises the Gran Parque de Lima Great Park and the Palacio de la Exposición Exhibition Palace, the latter containing the Art Museum of Lima.
The Park takes in monuments that date back to the days of the celebration of the Centennial of the Independence of Peru, like the Pabellón Morisco or Moorish Pavilion, the Sismógrafo, the Fuente China or Chinese Fountain, the Jardín Botánico or Botanical Garden and the Jardín Japonés or Japanese Garden. It also contains other facilities overly devoted to scenic arts, like the Isla de Títeres or Island of the Puppets, the Open Theatre and the La Cabaña Theatre.
The Palace, on the other hand, is one of the handsomest examples of the eclectic architecture of Lima. It was built during the years of 1870 and 1871 with the supposedly exclusive use of a premise in which to arrange artistic expositions. Its inauguration occurred in the next year, during the International Exposition Fair of Lima.
For those times, it was regarded as a revolutionary exploit. Its designer, Antonio Leonardi, conceived an architectonical complex with a Neo- renaissance style, framed by statues, gardens, a zoo and many other lesser buildings.
Afterwards it became the seat of the Sociedad de Bellas Artes or the Society of Fine Arts. During the times of the War of the Pacific it served as a blood hospital and as a garrison for the Chilean troops. Later on, it consecutively became the National Museum of History, the Chamber of Deputies, the Direction of Transit, the Ministry of Agriculture and the Municipality of Lima.
In the year of 1955, the Municipality handed the building over to the Patronato de las Artes. Without delay, and endowed by the UNESCO, it got completely refurbished and so became hence inaugurated the Museum of Art of Lima.
In the present times, it lays amidst one of the most dynamic and populated areas of the City. It comprises a constructed area of roughly 10 thousand square metres and has been declared Historical Monument by the Instituto Nacional de Cultura - National Institute of Culture.
A walk across its halls is nearly like taking a trip across three thousand years through Peruvian history. There is a deploy of some interesting exhibits of ceramics, textiles and metal works from most of the Pre-Hispanic cultures of Peru, let alone the most important collection of paintings and works of art that exists throughout the Country, besides, there is a library, a movie collection, and a workshop dedicated to the restoration and preservation of the National patrimony.
Paseo Colón 125 - Cercado de Lima.
(511) 423-4732 / 423-6332.
Tuesdays through Sundays from 09:00 a 17:00.