SANTA ROSA DE LIMA CHURCH AND SANCTUARY
This archaeological complex was built between the 17th and 18th Centuries beside the house where Santa Rosa de Lima, Patroness of Lima, America and the Philippines was born.
The Sanctuary was finished in the year of 1728, a century after the death of the Saint, but was demolished to build a church in its place. In 1912, the Dominicans resumed the control of the place and then rebuilt the Sanctuary around 1923.
At the present days, the complex is composed by the Church and the Sanctuary.
The original façade became demolished in order to giving way to the Avenida Tacna Avenue. There still remains the back part of the Temple, where is kept the altar of the Sagrado Corazón (Sacred Heart). On this altar stands out the image of the Niño Jesús (Jesus Child), surnamed "El Doctorcito" or the "Little Doctor", due to the miraculous healings performed by him through Santa Rosa prayers.
The area of the Sanctuary comprises several rooms where the Saint actually dwelled. There can still be seen the precious though humble garden where she planted a lemon tree, and where is located the hermitage which she built herself for her prayer sessions. Moreover, her fingerprints are still cast upon the clay she used for its construction.
Another attraction is the 19 deep well into which, according to the popular belief, she dumped the chain of the torment belt she wrapped around her waist in order to attain pain as a signal of penitence. Her believers use to throw into these well written papers with their petitions to the Saint.
At the right side of the entrance is placed the "infirmary" and to the left the room where she was born and which she will later employ as her cell. From the latter are still preserved its furnishing, her books and torment belts. Among those objects there is a portrait, namely the only original one, painted by the artist Angelino Medoro, only few moments before her death.
The holiday of Santa Rosa de Lima is celebrated on every August 30th. It is one of the most concurred festivities by the citizens of Lima.
First block of the Avenida Tacna Avenue in the intersection with the Jirón Lima Street. Four blocks away from the Main Square.
(511) 425-1279 and 425-0143.
To the Sanctuary:
Monday - Sunday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm and from 3:30 pm to 6:20 pm. Previous appointment needed.
To the Church:
Monday - Sunday from 8:00 to 11:00 am and from 6:00 to 7:00 pm.
SAN SEBASTIAN CHURCH
Located beside the small square named alike, this is a typical spot of Lima. It is also one of the oldest buildings of the City, since it was constructed in the 16th Century. In it were baptised the saints Santa Rosa de Lima and Fray Martín de Porras.
This little church was refurbished after suffering severe damages from the Earthquake of 1940. There are to be mentioned a baptismal fountain done in marble and a richly ornamented altar in a Rococo style from Granada.
Intersection of the Jirón Ica and the Jirón Chancay Streets, at 6 blocks from the Main Square.
THE IGLESIA DE SAN MARCELO - CHURCH
During the first years after its construction, this church fell under the administration of the fathers of the Order of Saint Agustin. Its construction began around the late 16th Century and has since endured a number of restorations. One of the latest (and also one of the worst) was executed during the third decade of the 20th Century, whereupon unnecessarily huge amounts of concrete plaster were applied to its Baroque façade.
Its real material and artistic value is to be found in its interior. There still remain some Baroque features as the Main altar, made with a dark wood, that show a profusion of fine carvings in a Churrigueresque style.
There are also some excellent sculptures of saints and a set of pompous ornaments that give as a result one of the best examples of Colonial altarpieces from the early 18th Century.
Corner of Jirón Rufino Torrico Street and Avenoida Emancipación Avenue. 600 metres from the Main Square.