SAINT PETER´S CHURCH
This is a Baroque styled temple that was inaugurated on July 31st, 1638 with the name of San Pablo - Saint Paul. It was afterwards changed to its present name few years after the Order of the Jesuits was expelled from the Colonies of Spain in 1767.
The first stone for its construction was placed on June 29th, 1569. Until then, the Jesuits only possessed a small wooden chapel. A long time elapsed until, thanks to the donations of the pious citizens of Lima, the building was finally ended during the rule of the Viceroy Conde de Chinch on.
This is considered as the soundest construction among all of the churches of Lima. It is also notable for its huge bells and by the fact that in it was instituted for the first time around the world, the three hour sermon
This sermon is the most passionate of the Catholic world and consists in a sermon about the seven words said by Jesus on the Cross. It was instituted by the Jesuit orator Alonso Messía, confessor of the Viceroy José de Armendáriz, Marquis of Castell-Fuerte.
Its façade is arranged with Renaissance elements and some Neoclassical elements, enhanced by double cornices and Roman pilasters fixed up with Doric capitals. There are three doors corresponding to each of the three naves.
The façade also presents a Greek fronton with three sacred images. The towers are arranged in three bodies, the uppermost containing the bells, the one below has a clock and the lowest is a six sided pyramid crowned by a cross.
The central nave is also the tallest and has a semi-spherical dome in the crucible. The chapels of the lateral chapels are vaulted. The altars contain gorgeous altarpieces and on the sideway walls assemble a series of paintings depicting scenes of the life and works of Saint Peter, Patron of the Church.
There is also a Penitentiary and a small Chapel.
Intersection of the Jirón Azángaro and Jirón Ucayali Streets.
Monday - Saturday from 10:00 am to noon and from 5:00 to 6:00 pm.
CHURCH OF THE ORPHANS
This was the ancient Temple of the Sagrado Corazón de Jesús (Sacred Heart of Jesus) which took the name of Huérfanos or Orphans due to its proximity to the old Casa de los Niños Huérfanos de Lima (House of the Orphan Children of Lima).
The Earthquake of 1678 utterly shattered it to pieces. The following works to rebuild the Church were once again destroyed by an earthquake in the year of 1746. At last, on April 6th, 1766 the new building, which actually endured to the present days, could be properly inaugurated.
The façade was built with two superimposed bodies. The first one is formed by four pilasters that stand at both sides of the entrance door, which in turn develops into a non ornamented bow arch. The second body was done in Baroque style and is composed by a central niche that contains the figure of the Sagrado Corazón de Jesús or the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
The interior of the Temple is the domain of the masterful nave, enhanced by the impressive arch over which rests the beautiful choir, respectfully facing the remarkable Main altar. Under the arcade of the nave are positioned four marvellous altarpieces, proportionally arranged at its both sides.
Intersection of the Jirón Azángaro and Jirón Apurímac Streets.