SAN JUAN BOSCO CHURCH
It belongs to the Salesian Order, and was constructed in the year of 1898, simultaneously to the Colegio Salesiano Don Bosco del Callao School. Its façade was done in an Italian style. Its interior is composed by three naves: the centremost is also the highest and presents a vault supported by Corinthian pillars and ends upon the main altar, whereupon the image of San Juan Bosco, Patron of the Church, is located. It also has an altar devoted to the Virgin María Auxiliadora.
350 García Calderón Street, El Callao.
SANTA ROSA DEL CALLAO CHURCH
It was built in the year of 1865 over an ancient lagoon which was dried up. It is surrounded by bushes, thick groves and several ditches. The original architecture had a very refined design, possessing two towers, beautiful altars and valuable artistic images. The altars were strewn with jewels and the Altarpiece was reputedly a true work of art.
During the earthquake, which occurred on September 20th, 1897, its foundations were shattered and the Church suffered severe damage. Hence, it was shut down, but 21 years later its reconstruction began.
In 1940, another fierce earthquake damaged some 50 per cent of the Temple and again it was reconstructed, only this time with a smaller size, because around those years started the construction of the Avenida Dos de Mayo Avenue, one of the principal roads of the Historical Centre of El Callao.
Then, after some successive refurbishing processes, the old Church finally collapsed on October 3rd of 1974, during another quake. Nevertheless, and thanks to the tenacious support of the Catholic community of El Callao, the new Temple of Santa Rosa became inaugurated on December 24th, 1978, wherein is still worshipped the image of the Señor del Mar (Lord of the Sea), Patron Saint of El Callao.
248 Marco Polo Street, El Callao.
OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE CHURCH
This Chapel was founded as a dependence of the Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe Hospital in the year of 1832 thanks to the efforts of the barefoot priest Fray José Martín Prieto. In 1877 it became enlarged, but during the above mentioned earthquake of 1940 it resulted severely damaged.
During the lapse between 1966 and 1994, it served as the secondary house to the Carmen de la Legua Virgin, due to the destruction of the Iglesia Matriz Main Church by the Earthquake of 1966.
This small chapel has a special charm for the visitor. It contains a fine looking belfry which, alike the tower, is entirely built in wood. This Chapel is devoted to the Señor Crucificado (Crucified Lord) and there is a Brotherhood for this matter that was founded in the nineteen forties.
Bolívar Street, El Callao
SAN JOSE DE BELLAVISTA CHURCH
Being strongly impressed by the destruction brought by the earthquake that occurred on October 28th, 1746, the Viceroy José Manso de Velasco, Count of Superunda, decided to create the City of Buena Vista, nowadays called Bellavista, with the intention of keeping the population safe from another similar disaster.
Hence, he entrusted the design of this new City to the reputed French mathematician Louis Godín. The resulting project included the construction of a Matrix Church Main Church, but due to a shortage of funds only a substituting chapel was built. Years later, this small chapel gave way to the Church of San José de Bellavista, which served for many years as the Cathedral Church of El Callao.
In the same spot over which the Church stands, existed in the past a ditch. It was in this ditch that the image of the Señor del Mar (Lord of the Sea) was found. The popular belief tells that this image was presumably carried there by the waves of a tsunami that caused great destruction in El Callao. The image became revered in this Church until the year of 1865 when it was relocated to the Santa Rosa Church.
Nowadays, the image to be worshipped here is the Señor Crucificado de Bellavista (formerly of Las Viñas), whose Brotherhood was founded on April 20th ,1954 and each year during Easter time it is taken around the District in procession.BR>
440 Francisco Bolognesi Street, Bellavista, El Callao.
THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS CHURCH
OF LA PUNTA DISTRICT
Built in a neoclassical style, the church has a sole tower and belfry. Inside, it is composed by three naves, among which the central is also the largest and the tallest, roofed by a ribbed vault, although not profusely decorated. At its sides it contains beautiful coloured stained glass windows, which cast some delightful tonalities over the Main altar.
Central Square of La Punta, Callao.
(511) 429-2555 and 429-0595.