here are many reasons why Trujillo, capital of the Department of La Libertad, is a city hard to forget. On one hand, it treasures the legacy of the tradicional nobility of its past and, on the other, shows modern
progress. The result is that the renowned town of travelers' rest is becoming a large city, modern and industrial but still maintaining respect for its tradition.
Since its founding in 1534 by Diego de Almagro Trujillo has wrested from its lands the opulence and splendor that still today make it something special. The visitor may find old mansions in its streets, lovely ¡ron grilles, and imposing convents and churches, and squares where the echo of past generations lingers on.
Perhaps one of the most remarkable aspects of Trujillo is the architectural layout of its streets. The city is bound by two circular avenues. The first is Avenida America that encircles urban Trujillo; the second is Avenida España that surrounds the historic center. And it is precisely this section, where the colonial churches and convents are located, that gives fame to the town.
In view of this, the first stop has to be the main square or Plaza de Armas where every corner reverberates with echoes of a glorious past. On one of them rises the Cathedral, easily recognized by its white walls, while opposite is the refurbished Libertador Hotel. Another holds the original installations of the National University of Trujillo. Furthermore, surrounding the Plaza de Armas are the town hall, the prefecture and the colonial mansions highlighted by their tradicional Trujillo balcones.
In this way Trujillo rises proudly amid an atmosphere of modernization, art, culture, agriculture and industry, that its inhabitants know how to make compatible with their pre-Columbian, viceroyal and republican land.
Click to see more images from this destination at our Peru Pictures -
Photos & Multimedia Gallery